Sunday, February 20, 2011

Taking lessons from my one year old

It is amazing how a 1-year old's mind works!  Today, Julia and I got up and went to early church  (my husband had to work today) and during service, she was as lively as always- singing, clapping her hands and, yes, even throwing out the occasionally yell which I would interpret to being her version of "Amen!"  Before, when we would go to service, I would often try to whisper to her to be quiet or talk softer so as to not draw attention to herself (or me for that matter) until one of the church ladies tactfully informed me to leave her alone and let her worship as she wants!  Those who know me know that I have a tendency to be a little uptight so this was a very hard concept to swallow, but, not wanting to go against this very wise church member, I have decided to let my daughter "worship" as she pleases!  It would be very unwise for me to go against my church ladies! :)  Since taking that advice I soon realized that Julia wasn't misbehaving but indeed attentive to service and acting out as she saw others doing and others found it refreshing to see a little person yelling out when the pastor yelled out "Amen!"  I decided to lighten up just a little.



I have taken this mindset not just in church but wherever we are.  I have learned not to be so uptight and just let my daughter be a kid!  After church, it was still early enough to still be breakfast time, so Julia and I went to a local breakfast eatery for a late breakfast.  My daughter, as always, was the center of attention, yelling out "hey!" to everyone and singing her ABCs and other songs.  Various people from other tables would stop to speak to her and she gobbled it up!  Afterwards she looked at me with such happiness and said "Mommy!" and kissed my cheek.  I just LOVE the innocence and pure joy she has!  She is enjoying her life and I don't want to smother the energy she is wanting to let out.  Watching her today made me smile and it made me realize sometimes you just have to let loose and have fun no matter where you are.  Today, I thank Julia for making me smile and making me loosen up just a little bit more.

2 comments:

  1. If I had been there I would have told you the same thing. Be blessed.

    Ladyjj (Janet)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I know you would Janet! You have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete