Friday, May 6, 2011

Mother's Day

So Sunday is Mother's Day and it will be my official 2nd Mother's Day as a mommy.  This past year has been a wild, crazy ride but soooo worth it!  It is so funny because I now think in terms of BC and AC (Before Child and After Child) and I think how much my life has changed AC.   BC, I had the freedom to come and go as please, my paycheck went to ME, and if I didn't feel like eating dinner, I didn't cook!  Now as I have entered the AC phase of my life, I worry about childcare if I want to go out, appropriate TV shows and toys for young children, being responsible for someone else's well-being, and doing things even if I don't feel well or feel like it.  To some, BC is the only way to go and I respect that.  Motherhood/parenting is not for everyone and I certainly don't criticize those who voluntarily opt to be child-free.  For me, however, while I sometimes think of my carefree days BC, my life AC certainly outweighs any desire to go back to that life.  Even though posts on my facebook talk about the woes of potty training or the mischief my child gets into, when I look into those beautiful big brown eyes that smile and say "mommy I love you"  my heart melts.  Parenting is the most rewarding job for me out there and even when she destroys my house, hearing those 4 words makes the mess go away, the frustration of being overwhelmed and overworked and sometimes, under appreciated go away and all I can see is how rewarding and fulfilling life AC has been for me.

This Mother's Day also makes me think of my own relationship with my mother and how we are the best of friends now.  I feel I can go to my mother and talk about anything and she will always have my back and will be honest with me.  I want that same relationship with my daughter.  I want to be open and honest with her and vice versa.  I think of all that my mother has gone through and what she has sacrificed for mine and my brothers' happiness at the expense, sometimes, of her own.  There is nothing like a mother's love.  To carry a child within you or to mother a child, not your biological own, does something to you and your spirit- it is indescribable.  So Happy Mother's Day to all those wonderful mothers!  I am waving to my BC and enjoying this Motherhood ride even with the ups and downs it may bring.  When I watch my chid sleep-----all I can say is the ride is very much worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment